Barb's Black & White Photo Challenge *WINNER*

Moderators: Rachel Kent, ACOT Employee

Jaditelady173
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 48

Re: Barb's Black & White Photo Challenge

Post by Jaditelady173 »

http://www.acherryontop.com/gallery/246538
I chose to make the wedding pictures in Sepia to compliment the beautiful paper I used on this layout.  I wanted a vintage look.  The chapel they were married in was an old stone chapel that had no electricity and was candle lit.  I also made another page that goes with this one. 
http://www.acherryontop.com/gallery/246540
This is just a picture of the corresponding layout of my entry....just so you can see how they work together.
Barb Van
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 117

Post by Barb Van »

This is so beautiful that I can't wait to start.  Just had to google it:   It is believed by some that the modern use of the phrase stems from an article by Fred R. Barnard in the advertising trade journal Printers' Ink, promoting the use of images in advertisements that appeared on the sides of streetcars.[4] The December 8, 1921, issue carries an ad entitled, "One Look is Worth A Thousand Words." Another ad by Barnard appears in the March 10, 1927, issue with the phrase "One Picture Worth Ten Thousand Words", where it is labeled a Chinese proverb. The Home Book of Proverbs, Maxims, and Familiar Phrases quotes Barnard as saying he called it "a Chinese proverb, so that people would take it seriously."[5] Nonetheless, the proverb soon after became popularly attributed to Confucius. The actual Chinese expression "Hearing something a hundred times isn't better than seeing it once" (, p bǎi wén bù rú yī jiàn) is sometimes introduced as an equivalent, as Watts's "One showing is worth a hundred sayings".[6] This was published as early as 1966 discussing persuasion and selling in a book on engineering design.[7] In March 1911, in the Syracuse Advertising Men's Club, Arthur Brisbane wrote: "Use a picture. It's worth a thousand words."[8]

ImageImage          Image

shoorn
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 2842

Post by shoorn »

I am hoping to get to this one soon!
Hi everyone!    Image   My name is Susan and I love to scrapbook!

Image ImageImage   Image
emmapaige
Chatty Cherry
Gallery: 2439

Post by emmapaige »

This is mine - my husband and granddaughter were wearing different colors and thought changing the photo to black and white would be better.

** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage Image

blfonty
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 986

Post by blfonty »

bvandoes wrote:This is so beautiful that I can't wait to start.  Just had to google it:   It is believed by some that the modern use of the phrase stems from an article by Fred R. Barnard in the advertising trade journal Printers' Ink, promoting the use of images in advertisements that appeared on the sides of streetcars.[4] The December 8, 1921, issue carries an ad entitled, "One Look is Worth A Thousand Words." Another ad by Barnard appears in the March 10, 1927, issue with the phrase "One Picture Worth Ten Thousand Words", where it is labeled a Chinese proverb. The Home Book of Proverbs, Maxims, and Familiar Phrases quotes Barnard as saying he called it "a Chinese proverb, so that people would take it seriously."[5] Nonetheless, the proverb soon after became popularly attributed to Confucius. The actual Chinese expression "Hearing something a hundred times isn't better than seeing it once" (, p bǎi wén bù rú yī jiàn) is sometimes introduced as an equivalent, as Watts's "One showing is worth a hundred sayings".[6] This was published as early as 1966 discussing persuasion and selling in a book on engineering design.[7] In March 1911, in the Syracuse Advertising Men's Club, Arthur Brisbane wrote: "Use a picture. It's worth a thousand words."[8]

Barb - thanks for this interesting history lesson on the use Black & White!
blfonty a.k.a. Bonnie

Retiree3
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 5437

Post by Retiree3 »

[
Donna-Retiree3-Proud Grandmother of Three Boys!

[highlight=#000000][/highlight]

CarrieG
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1781

Post by CarrieG »

lissahope26 wrote:Here is my entry also added to the gallery spot

so precious!

CarrieG
Cherry Jubilee

Post by CarrieG »

Retiree3 wrote:Image

photo really pops with the blues!!

CarrieG
Cherry Jubilee

Post by CarrieG »

sweetsour wrote:I chose this baby blue, yellow and grey scheme for my B&W  photo.
(then I made this kit for Krystle's kit game not realizing she was having a separate challenge with it, but am not entering in hers. so if that's considered combining and doesn't count that's OK.)  I love the page anyway!

love your background layering

JillinIN
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 479

Post by JillinIN »

This was a great challenge Barb!
I chose to print these photos in sepia to give them a feeling of a time long gone. We had a themed birthday party for my sister. Her family did civil war reenacting so her party was set in the time period.
Jill
 Jill
ImageImage
sherelm
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 733

Post by sherelm »

I love your examples, and I love watching Maddie grow. She's a young lady now.
CarrieG
Cherry Jubilee

Post by CarrieG »

this layout gave me fits...wouldn't come together right...finally stuck a fork in it...

Linda L
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 101

Post by Linda L »

Here is mine...Looks like I have pink enamel dots on this, I need to change that. LOL!  DH is Great Grandpa, our son is Grandpa, our GGS Kashton and our GD Miranda is Mommy.

Jaditelady173
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 48

Post by Jaditelady173 »

Linda I love your layout. What is this paper collection? It works great with you picture too!
Berta R.
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 627

Post by Berta R. »

CarrieG wrote:this layout gave me fits...wouldn't come together right...finally stuck a fork in it...

I think it looks beautiful, Carrie!  I love the colors on here!  Image
***Berta***
Berta R.
Cherry Bing

Post by Berta R. »

Linda-1949 wrote:Here is mine...Looks like I have pink enamel dots on this, I need to change that. LOL!  DH is Great Grandpa, our son is Grandpa, our GGS Kashton and our GD Miranda is Mommy.

That's a great photo, Linda!  I love your farm elements on here...too cute!  Image
***Berta***
Jan G.
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 86

Post by Jan G. »

Jan G.
Berta R.
Cherry Bing

Post by Berta R. »

janannemd wrote:Image
I love your design on here and your really fun title!  Image
***Berta***
StacyLee
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 927

Post by StacyLee »

Here's mine, Barb, I really enjoyed this challenge!  This picture in color would most definitely not have worked with the color scheme I used, I'm so happy with how it turned out using a b&w photo.
Best Son Ever
Stacy

ImageImageImage

Return to “NSD Celebration 2018”