your opinion.........

Moderator: ACOT Employee

sdwhru
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 358

Re: your opinion.........

Post by sdwhru »

Sorry, I don't think the "English speakers" should have to try to read the Spanish version of the Pledge of Allegiance.
DN in MN
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 444

Post by DN in MN »

I had to go back and double check but the US does not have an official language listed. I found this interesting since the majority population speak english. The last sentence of the last paragraph may be why the school is doing what they are.

[highlight=#f7f7f7][highlight=#ffffff]If English is your answer, sorry, you are wrong. If your answer is American English, you are still wrong! English is not the official language of the United States of America. In fact, the US has no official language, at least on the federal level. One would think that English, which is undoubtedly the [/highlight][highlight=#ffffff]lingua franca[/highlight][highlight=#ffffff] [/highlight][highlight=#ffffff]of business and global politics today, is by default the most powerful nation's official language. But it is not. There has never been one, and will probably never will be, at least in the near foreseeable future.[/highlight][/highlight]
Why is this so? One theory is because it goes against the spirit on which the US was founded on. America is a country of immigrants of different races, religions, political beliefs, customs, traditions, and of course, languages. The Constitution of the US protects the freedoms of its citizens on many levels including their individuality and diversity. And language forms a big part of every citizen.
[highlight=#f7f7f7]There is no "official" language for the United States, although some individual states list English as their official language. If you would like the United States or your state to adopt an official language, you should contact your elected officials.[/highlight]
[highlight=#f7f7f7]The federal government is currently required to provide access to federal programs and federally assisted programs for people with limited English proficiency.[/highlight]
2024 Layout goal ~ 6/100      2024 Word ~ FOCUS

Scrap Bug
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 240

Post by Scrap Bug »

If they are saying it in our country at our schools, sports games, etc., it needs to be said in English.  Our country is English speaking and those wishing to become a part of it need to learn English.  This is a big pet peeve with me.  I have a LOT of opinions on this subject and similar ones, being that I live on the border of MX.  

People here are rude and expect everything to be said to them in Spanish, they often get mad if you don't speak Spanish and even if they know English they will pretend that they don't know what you're saying.  

They are rude during sports games and during the national anthem they'll keep their hats on, hands in pockets - talking and texting on their cell phones, just being rude and disrespectful in general.  I've never seen anything like it anywhere else.  On 4th of July and Remembrance Day I have seen people fly the MX flag out of their houses and attached to their vehicles.  To me that is basically saying F*** you to our country where they are living and making a living.

The schools want to coddle the Spanish speakers and I had a huge problem when we moved here during my daughter's 4th grade year and all the school events for the parents were held in Spanish.  They would start off translating back and forth and then would just wind up saying everything in Spanish.  Some times they didn't even bother at all with the English.  Middle School was better with both kids, they did translate back and forth, but my daughter did have a couple of classes in which the teachers would speak to everyone in Spanish or Spanglish and therefore she didn't understand what was going on.  She had problems with this with a math teacher and with a band teacher.  The band teacher would get upset with her for not doing something he asked and then the other students would translate for her.  Now - I know the teacher spoke English because #1 - it's a requirement to get the job and #2 - I spoke with him on meet the teacher night. He was just lazy and wanted to use his first language.  The math teacher translated back and forth which seemed to frustrate all the kids b/c it's harder to grasp and takes up a lot of extra time.  High School was definitely MUCH better for both kids.  

That said - I've never heard them recite the pledge in Spanish at school - or anywhere else for that matter, thank goodness.
Melissa
MickeyM
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 327

Post by MickeyM »

citygirl22 wrote:I'm not American so I don't have an opinion on the pledge of allegiance one way or the other but I'm just curious ... in the US is Spanish an official language? Here in Canada we have two official languages, English and French. We have a legal right to be served in either language whenever we're dealing with a federal service (ie: renewing a passport, filing taxes, etc.) It's very common for big events to be translated into both languages and even our national anthem is often sung half in English, half in French. Is it like this in America, with English and Spanish being formal official languages? Or is the pledge being said in Spanish because of the school's population being primarily Spanish speakers?
America does not have an official language. I, like Carrie live in a community with a large hispanic popluation. But our schools do nothing like what Carrie's are doing. We receive forms and such in both languages and at school events we have some things in spanish and english. Our neighborhood has stores that we can not visit because we don't know the language. I don't have a problem with any of it but like I said it's because no is trying to force me to learn spanish. Which is what it sounds like at Carrie's school. 
gonecamping
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 129

Post by gonecamping »

Our school district only says the pledge on Mondays. The school I am in doesn't say it all, but I work in a self contained behavioral school so I am not surprised. There is no way we could get these kids to say it in any langauge. We have a large population of migrant workers here too because we are in "wine country." My eyes were opened when I worked as an ELL assistant one year in the migrant program. Interesting to say the least.
***Tanya***
Ayla
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1078

Post by Ayla »

average_kim wrote:
meljustcole wrote:
CarrieG wrote:ok so here is why I asked...........my youngest daughter goes to an elementary school that has become a bilingual school....each grade has a class that is either bilingual or English only (our daughter has been in the English only since 1st grade).......and the new principal has a new agenda ...she would like to push out the English only speakers...grrrrrrrr......a 30 min 3rd-5th grade monthly award assembly now takes over an hour cuz every thing has to be translated and said in both English and Spanish...........it was more of an irritant than anything til today when they wanted us to do the pledge in Spanish...it was up on a screen for us non Spanish speakers...now I would never move to a foreign country and expect them to do that for me..........America is unique...in which ppl move here with the intentions (hopefully) of becoming citizens and embracing what we stand for while retaining their culture...but they would have to speak English at work etc...kwim??? typically americans do not move to other countries to become citizens there. So, I feel it is almost a disservice to the Hispanic population that we are enabling them by not having them participate in English...does that make sense? I felt highly uncomfy having what is one of Americas most sacred things...the Pledge of Allegiance...something we as americans say with great pride and honor....seeming to be just another nursery rhyme or song.....with no real meaning..........
I suspect that every part of the nation has different feelings on this based on what your ethnic population is...........and how much it directly affects you.so no one is going to all think exactly alike and that is fine...I was just curious as I worked thru this in my mind--some places have heavy Russian or Ukrainian populations but do they get this same scenario?????????
I was going to ask you the scenario that brought on the question. While I don't mind if someone says it in their native language, what the school is doing is wrong. I originally said I see nothing wrong with it and I still agree and stand by that statement IF nothing about the pledge is changed...BUT it shouldn't have to take an hour for it to be said and those that speak English should not have to be MADE to speak Spanish!!

I agree with you.
I kind of skipped over the rest of the responses, but i totally agree here!
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

croppinmama
Cherry Cola
Gallery: -2

Post by croppinmama »

My grandfather came to Boston from Greece. He learned the language and adapted to America. He believed it was an honor to come into this country so he respected the culture. He never expected the United States to cater to him. He worked very hard to become a citizen and never took his citizenship for granted. He past away before I was born, but my mom always says if he were alive today he would cringe at what is happening.
writerlady
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 448

Post by writerlady »

I never heard my grandparents say the pledge in Italian. I guess I'd rather someone say the pledge in whatever language they can speak.
Please stop by my blog,Writerlady's Craftroom

ratgirl
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 87

Post by ratgirl »

citygirl22 wrote:I'm not American so I don't have an opinion on the pledge of allegiance one way or the other but I'm just curious ... in the US is Spanish an official language? Here in Canada we have two official languages, English and French. We have a legal right to be served in either language whenever we're dealing with a federal service (ie: renewing a passport, filing taxes, etc.) It's very common for big events to be translated into both languages and even our national anthem is often sung half in English, half in French. Is it like this in America, with English and Spanish being formal official languages? Or is the pledge being said in Spanish because of the school's population being primarily Spanish speakers?
Bonjour/Hello! (I love hearing that greeting when I'm in Quebec!) Thank you for pointing this out. I get frustrated with the idea that everyone in the U.S. should have to speak English or that there's something wrong with having more than one common language. Most countries have several commonly spoken languages...most have more than two...even in countries far smaller than our own. It's strange to me that so few people in the U.S. speak more than one language when it's extremely common to speak several in other countries. Yet here, many people flat out refuse to learn a second language, as if ignorance of other languages is some kind of special purity or patriotic duty. Yes, it's a good idea for those who live in the U.S. to have some working knowledge of English, just as those who live in the U.S. should have some working knowledge of Spanish. Both are very handy here, where the two languages are so commonly heard. It's good that elementary schools are teaching kids Spanish. It makes it so much easier to learn a second language when you start doing so at a young age. Waiting till middle school or high school is starting late.  It's not about being PC (whatever that means. It's a vague concept at best.) it's about being sensible and not being hung up on some imagined contest where everything is "us vs. them". and there's something to be won or lost if we continue to become a multilingual country. 

Interesting question, interesting answers. Thanks to everyone who has posted. :) It's cool to hear the different POVs. 
karensay
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 240

Post by karensay »

love2stamp wrote:Well, I for one disagree. I think if you are going to come over to US to become a citizen then you should learn the language. PERIOD. If you want to keep your own language, that's fine, but learn the English language as well. I should not have to press one for English, two for Spanish. I also shouldn't have to search an instruction manual to find the instructions in English. So I believe that the Pledge of Allegiance should be said in English, not Spanish or any other language.

You don't go overseas and expect them to adapt to you and your culture, you adapt to theirs. Why should the US be different? My brother lives in Saudi Arabia, has for about 5 years as a civilian teaching their army how to run and work on tanks. He has had to learn their culture and live by that, we are not allowed to send anything that has to do with Christmas or religion wise to him, otherwise they will take it and he would be in trouble. We lived overseas for years in the military, when we went off base we learned their language because most of them spoke very, very little English. It's what you do if you are going to live in another country, so why does the America think we need to adapt to their language if they are coming to live here?
I agree with this.

Speaking of Spanish - DD can't take Spanish in High School until she takes English 1 her Freshman year.  Spanish is not offered in the elementary schools and is a Related Arts class in grades 6-8 and DD has had Careers, and Keyboarding more than once, but never has got in the Spanish class.
Karen in SC
2-page, multi-photo scrapper
Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2322

Post by Art_Teacher »

ratgirl wrote:
Bonjour/Hello! (I love hearing that greeting when I'm in Quebec!) Thank you for pointing this out. I get frustrated with the idea that everyone in the U.S. should have to speak English or that there's something wrong with having more than one common language. Most countries have several commonly spoken languages...most have more than two...even in countries far smaller than our own. It's strange to me that so few people in the U.S. speak more than one language when it's extremely common to speak several in other countries. Yet here, many people flat out refuse to learn a second language, as if ignorance of other languages is some kind of special purity or patriotic duty. Yes, it's a good idea for those who live in the U.S. to have some working knowledge of English, just as those who live in the U.S. should have some working knowledge of Spanish. Both are very handy here, where the two languages are so commonly heard. It's good that elementary schools are teaching kids Spanish. It makes it so much easier to learn a second language when you start doing so at a young age. Waiting till middle school or high school is starting late.  It's not about being PC (whatever that means. It's a vague concept at best.) it's about being sensible and not being hung up on some imagined contest where everything is "us vs. them". and there's something to be won or lost if we continue to become a multilingual country. 

Interesting question, interesting answers. Thanks to everyone who has posted. :) It's cool to hear the different POVs. 
I also think it is good to teach Spanish in the younger grades because studies have said they learn best at that age.  However, I don't think an assembly should take tons more time to translate things into both languages and I don't think schools should be forced to translate everything.  I'm pretty sure if you went to school in any other country, you would have to learn the language the school was speaking and they would not be providing translators and special services to you, just because you didn't know the language.  The U.S. is a wonderful country full of opportunities, but it is becoming a country where everyone thinks they have a right to everything!  Opportunity doesn't mean someone will do it for you or fix it for you...it means you work to do it for yourself and there are no laws stopping you from doing so!  If you can't speak the language to take the drivers' license test, then you don't get a drivers' license.  Period!  Part of embracing the opportunities has to fall on the side of the people to work toward them or we, as a country, are lost. :( 
Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
Flasher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 319

Post by Flasher »

Art_Teacher wrote:
ratgirl wrote:

I also think it is good to teach Spanish in the younger grades because studies have said they learn best at that age.  However, I don't think an assembly should take tons more time to translate things into both languages and I don't think schools should be forced to translate everything.  I'm pretty sure if you went to school in any other country, you would have to learn the language the school was speaking and they would not be providing translators and special services to you, just because you didn't know the language.  The U.S. is a wonderful country full of opportunities, but it is becoming a country where everyone thinks they have a right to everything!  Opportunity doesn't mean someone will do it for you or fix it for you...it means you work to do it for yourself and there are no laws stopping you from doing so!  If you can't speak the language to take the drivers' license test, then you don't get a drivers' license.  Period!  Part of embracing the opportunities has to fall on the side of the people to work toward them or we, as a country, are lost. :( 
Laura, I agree with you 100%.  

I expect no one, and would never ask anyone, to give up their native language.  I think it should be embraced as part of their history, culture, and heritage.  However, if you are going to come to the United States and make a future for yourself here, you need to embrace our language as well.  Can you imagine drivers on the road with you not able to understand directions or street signs?  Or a factory worker not able to understand protocols and procedures?  There has to be some personal accountability here. 

As a side note, my husband took Spanish in high school.  My daughter decided on French.  My son is leaning toward Spanish.  I took Latin in high school.  Wonder how far that will get me.  Image

OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

ratgirl
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by ratgirl »

emmapaige wrote:Speaking of The Pledge of Allegiance, hasn't this been banned in some schools because of "One Nation under God"? Of course, this opens up a whole new discussion! :)
Why don't they just use the original Pledge of Allegiance? The "under god" was added very recently (1954) as a result of McCarthyist fear of communism and a kneejerk reaction to the fear that our pledge kind of sounded like other countries' pledges, including the USSR's, and as a result of a campaign by the Catholic organization, the Knights of Columbus. The original pledge says, "One nation, indivisible." Solves the problem of excluding non-judeo christians and sticks with our pledge as it was written.
ratgirl
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by ratgirl »

Laura wrote:As a side note, my husband took Spanish in high school.  My daughter decided on French.  My son is leaning toward Spanish.  I took Latin in high school.  Wonder how far that will get me.  Image

You're halfway there toward learning Spanish, since it's a romance language, like French. It's easier to pick up Spanish if you know Latin, though, since the pronunciation is very similar to Spanish, while French has a very distinctive pronunciation that differs quite a bit from most romance languages. So Latin is actually very useful. :)

Return to “General Debate”